Guidelines and Resources on Social Media Archiving
- Social media research ethical and privacy guidelines: general guidelines for GW researchers focusing on the collecting, sharing, and publishing of social media data
- Social Feed Manager: Guide for Building Social Media Archives, Christopher J. Prom (June 7, 2017)
- Legal and Ethical Issues of Social Media Collecting: Annotated Bibliography (June 2, 2017)
- Building Social Media Archives: Collection Development Guidelines (March 20, 2017)
- API-based Social Media Collecting as a Form of Web Archiving: Article in International Journal on Digital Libraries, Special Issue on Web Archiving (Dec 28, 2016)
- Provenance of a Tweet: working paper on metadata collected by Social Feed Manager (PDF version)
- Using Social Media Data: Articles and resources on ethics
- “Collecting Social Media with Social Feed Manager,” library workshop, February 14, 2017.
- Rachel Trent, “Documenting the Demographic Imagination: Supporting Reproducibility of Social Media Silence in Historical Perspective,” Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group (PASIG), October 27, 2016.
- Christie Peterson, Justin Littman, Laura Wrubel, Social Feed Manager webinar for the Digital Preservation Coalition, November 2, 2016.
- Vakil Smallen, Seemantani Sharma, “Building Social Media Collections: Legal and Ethical Issues,” poster at TPRC44: Research Conference on Communications, Information and Internet Policy, September 30, 2016 at George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, VA.
- Laura Wrubel, “Panel: Why save online news?” Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving Online News, October 13-14, 2016.
- Vakil Smallen, Seemantani Sharma, Rachel Trent, “The Challenges of Collecting and Providing Access to Social Media Content” at Archives/Records 2016, Joint Council of State Archivists (CoSa) - Society of American Archivists (SAA) conference, August 5, 2016.
- Christie Peterson, “Provenance of a Tweet”, poster at Society of American Archivists (SAA) Research Forum, August 2, 2016.
- Rachel Trent, “Messy Web, Meet Clean(er) Web: An Experiment in Social Media Archiving,” at the Archive-It Annual Partners Meeting, August 2, 2016.
- Dan Kerchner (moderator) and Laura Wrubel (panelist), “Social media, web archiving, and digital libraries”, panel at Web Archives and Digital Libraries workshop at JCDL 2016, June 22-23, 2016.
- Laura Wrubel, Dan Kerchner, Justin Littman, “Social Feed Manager lightning talks” at Archives Unleashed, Library of Congress, Washington, DC, June 15, 2016.
- Justin Littman, “Aligning Social Media Harvesting and Web Harvesting” at International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC) Web Archiving Conference, April 14, 2016 in Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Laura Wrubel and Jason Casden, “Building and Managing Social Media Collections”, DLF Forum workshop, October 27, 2015 in Vancouver, BC.
- Vakil Smallen, Seemantani Sharma, Dan Chudnov, “Social Feed Manager” at Web Archives 2015: Capture, Curate, Analyze, November 13, 2015 at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
Questions, feedback, and pull requests are welcome. You can reach us at email@example.com or @SocialFeedMgr.
See the technical documentation for further details about installing and using SFM.